- Character Creation
- The World
On Arelith, magical energies are channeled through the caster, be it from study, prayer or natural affinity. The three main sources of magic are Divine Energies imbued from a cleric or druid's patron deity, the Weave (a magical ether through which Mystra and other deities energies are filtered) and the Shadow Weave a dark magical force from which Shar's magics are drawn.
In order for magical energies to be drawn, the caster's chosen deity must have presence and power. (See the section on presence and power for more information)
The Arcane Tower, a neutral entity on the isle, seeks to teach not only the theory and practice of magic, but also it's responsible use. Rogue mages who are known to use destructive magics recklessly may find themselves in the unpleasant company of an unhappy Arch-Magus.
The unique balance of good and evil and the mysterious forces which surround the isle have resulted in curious changes to the way magic is drawn and its manifestations. The Arcane Tower continues it's research on how the isle is affected, and have publicly published the following findings:
- Death Armor, Elemental shield and Acid sheath do not stack, the last spell cast overrides the others.
- The spells greater magic weapon, magic weapon, holy sword, flame weapon, darkfire and keen weapon can't be stacked any more. The last spell cast overrides the other. Bless Weapon continues to stack as normal.
- Darkfire / Flame weapon is nerfed so it caps out at level 10 or so.
- Darkfire, Flame Weapon and (Greater) Magic Weapon have had their duration reduced to turns rather as hours as well.
- All Bigby's spells: Has a reflex save now. Only Bigbys clenched fist doesn't have a reflex save, as it already has a fortitude save. None of Bigby's spells are possible to scribe.
- Charm/Domination spells: Technically they haven't been changed but due to some auto-hostiling scripts they don't work as intended against other players who are neutral to you.
- Balagarn's Iron Horn: (this is a NWN bug) The spell is described to be from Transmutation School, but it mechanically belongs to Enchantment one. You can not scribe it or use it if Enchantment is your forbidden School.
- Bless: lasts rounds instead of turns.
- Call Lightning: deals d10s of damage rather than d6s, when cast in an outside, above ground, stormy or raining area.
- Continual flame: does not last forever.
- Gate & Epic Spell: Dragon Knight: Summons alignment appropriate creatures.
- Find traps: does not disable traps, just reveals them.
- Freedom of movement: Doesn't protect from movement speed reduction effects, including those from armour penalty, Slow and Web spells. (Still protects you from bigby's, hold person, entangle and similar effects.)
- Greater Sanctuary: is now rounds per level/2 and it has a "Cool down timer" 240 seconds
- Improved invisibility: It lasts rounds instead of turns. The concealment bonus is still in turns.
- Invisbility: It lasts rounds instead of turns.
- Invisibility Sphere: lasts rounds instead of turns.
- Isaac's Greater Magic Missile: Maximum 10 missiles per target. If more than one target it sends out 20 missiles. Maximum damage output - 120 damage. Cannot shoot more than half its missiles at one target.
- Knock: only opens chests, not doors. (only a few doors can be knocked)
- Time Stop: Only affects one area and has a cool-down timer as well.
- True Sight: It lasts rounds instead of turns.
These bugs are more due to Neverwinter Nights itself, and less Arelith-specific.
- Charm and Mass charm makes the target hostile to you
- Aid fades away when the extra Hit Points are beaten out of you.
- Battletide will fade or disappear sometimes when you transition. Additionally it occasionally will not go away even after its duration is up and you have rested.
- Magic Circle vs Alignment has duration issues.
- Invisibility sphere, Magic Circle vs Alignment, etc: may not follow the caster due to lag. It dispels itself when caster leaves its area.
- Mordkainen's disjunction is capped at 20.
- Balagarn's Iron Horn is from the Enchantment School. It can not be scribed or use by those with forbidden Enchantment School.
Gate: Good - Deva
Neutral - Balor
Evil – Balor
Dragon Knight: Good - Silver Dragon Neutral - Prismatic Dragon Evil - Red Dragon Palemaster - Dracolich
The duration of this spell has been increased on Arelith.
Summon changes from Summon Creature I-IX for Underdark races.
- Summon 1 = Rat
- Summon 2 = Dire rat
- Summon 3 = Worg
- Summon 4 = Dire Spider
- Summon 5 = Grey render
- Summon 6 = Hell hound
- Summon 7 = Huge Elemental
- Summon 8 = Greater Elemental
- Summon 9 = Elder Elemental
Other spells can be scribed with the right components. These are certain items that must be in the Scriber's inventory prior to the scribing attempt. They, along with the Blank Scroll will disappear and be replaced with the relevant scroll. Discovering these in character is encouraged, and so components will not be listed.
Spells that require a component to be Scribed:
- Greater Restoration
- Storm of Vengeance
- Time Stop
- True Seeing
- Undeath to Death
Spells that cannot be Scribed
Due to bug, (confirmed by Mithreas) All Bigby's spells (Interposing Hand, Forceful Hand, Grasping Hand, Clenched Fist, Crushing Hand) Greater Sanctuary Balagarn's Iron Horn for those with forbidden Enchantment School. You cannot scribe it or use it.
Grants a +2 to dispel checks per focus (total of +6 with an epic focus).
Epic focus in abjuration allows you to use the -ward command, which appears to function like a Mass Hold Person spell.
Summon spells provide buffed summons when casting Summon Creature (I-IX) and Epic Spell: Dragon Knight.
More Spell Focuses in Conjuration provide greater buffs.
Only creatures summoned with the spells above produced buffed summons, the Planar Binding line of spells is not effected, despite being from the Conjuration school.
For characters with Epic Spell Focus in Divination, typing -scry lets them spy on another character for about a minute. You'll have to cast Clairaudience/Clairvoyance on yourself first.
Select the character by entering the first few characters of their name (or their full name if you prefer).
The enchanting pools offers gold piece discounts to those with Spell Focus: Enchantment. 10% for basic focus, 20% for greater focus and 35% for epic focus. The decrease in price will affect the chance of failure.
There are no changes to Evocation at this time.
Epic Spell Focus: Illusion grants the Send Image ability, allowing the player to send an image of themselves to a target, say something, and vanish. The Send Image Ability works once each IG day and has no XP cost.
Spell focus: Necromancy gives Undead summons (Animate Dead, Create Undead, Create Greater Undead as well as Pale Master and Blackguard feat-spells) a very slight boost to their stats.
Greater spell focus allows the caster to cast twice for two summons, and you can mix and match summons (For example, a Shadow and a Skeleton Warrior).
Epic Spell Focus instantly creates two undead creatures.
Epic Spell: Mummy Dust and Epic Spell: Dragon Knight (for Pale Masters who summon a Dracolich, see below) get the very slight statistics boost, but still summon only one of them.
Epic Spell Focus: Transmutation allows use of the Teleport ability. Typing -teleport brings up a Planar Portal dialogue, allowing the user to teleport to any known Portal for 100xp, once per day.
“Fall to your knees O Blessed Children for the might of the Gods is great. In our service we glorify them, in our negligence we rob their glory.” From The Blessed Paths by Tristyn Morgan – Scribe of Oghma
Far beyond the reach of mortals, the Gods engage in their own dealings, imbueing their faithful with strength and guiding their paths. For every gift, there is a price. Those who call upon the Gods lightly tax their deities power and quickly lose favor. The leaders of the religions must guide their flock to respect and pay tribute so that the delicate balance is preserved.
The faithful may call upon their patrons in times of need, but to do so is not without cost. Through the power of prayer (using the emote *prays*) the patron deity is called upon and may grant blessings.
There are two factors that determine if a deity can and is willing to answer prayers. Before a deity can do anything for its faithful, it must have both power and presence on the island. A deity gains presence when any of its followers sacrifices gold to it on an altar. Without sacrifices and offerings, the deity's presence will slowly fade away to nothing. The greater a deity's presence, the more likely it is to heed prayers.
A deity cannot answer prayers if its following on Arelith is too meagre to allow them domain. A deity's power will increase steadily, as long as it has at least 10% presence.
The higher their presence, the faster it will gain power. A deity loses power when it answers prayers, saves worshipers from death or if its followers call on particularly powerful magic. If the deity doesn't have enough power for any of these things, it cannot make them happen.
Clerical domains and chosen deities need not be exact, but should fit reasonably within your deities portfolio.